Libyan Embassy in Cairo suspends work
Cairo: The Libyan Embassy in Cairo says it has suspended work indefinitely after demonstrators burned a Libyan flag at its gate this week to protest the death of an Egyptian Christian imprisoned there.
Saturday`s statement by the embassy says it has suspended consular services indefinitely. No further details were given. Thousands of Egyptians work in neighbouring Libya and rely on the embassy to provide work permits.
Tensions flared following the death of a Coptic Christian from Egypt one of dozens detained in Libya on suspicion of proselytising in the Muslim country.
Egypt`s Foreign Ministry says the man, Ezzat Atallah, likely died of natural causes, but his family alleges he was tortured to death.
Two other detainees who were released told The Associated Press they were tortured in a Libyan jail.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video