Libyan forces battle Gadhafi loyalists in Sirte
Tripoli: A spokesman for Libyan revolutionary forces says a unit has entered the outskirts of Sirte, Gaddafi`s hometown, fighting resistance from loyalists.
Spokesman Ali Gliwan says fighters on Thursday crossed a major highway overpass, known as al-Gharbiat, at the southwestern entrance of Sirte. He said the fighters are encountering some resistance and have come under rocket fire. He says one fighter was killed.
Gliwan, a member of the Misrata military council, said the fighters from his city surprised Gaddafi supporters approaching from the west and south, instead of the east.
Anti-Gaddafi forces have been trying to enter at least three Gaddafi strongholds, including Sirte and Bani Walid, for two weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Actor evades media, refuses to say ‘sorry’ – Watch
- Amazing! Ahmedabad hotel made out of discarded containers set to woo customers