Libyan forces battle Gadhafi loyalists in Sirte
Tripoli: A spokesman for Libyan revolutionary forces says a unit has entered the outskirts of Sirte, Gaddafi`s hometown, fighting resistance from loyalists.
Spokesman Ali Gliwan says fighters on Thursday crossed a major highway overpass, known as al-Gharbiat, at the southwestern entrance of Sirte. He said the fighters are encountering some resistance and have come under rocket fire. He says one fighter was killed.
Gliwan, a member of the Misrata military council, said the fighters from his city surprised Gaddafi supporters approaching from the west and south, instead of the east.
Anti-Gaddafi forces have been trying to enter at least three Gaddafi strongholds, including Sirte and Bani Walid, for two weeks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed