Libyan leader calls for unity on 2nd anniversary
Benghazi: Libya`s leader called on Sunday for unity in the North African nation as it celebrates the second anniversary of the uprising that toppled longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi but plunged the country into lawlessness and economic woes.
Addressing thousands of flag-waving Libyans, Mohammed el-Megarif urged his countrymen to "join ranks and resolve our differences to build our nation”.
He also promised to fight poverty and "marginalisation”, and to give Libyans extra cash to mark the occasion. He did not say how much money he meant, or how it would be distributed.
El-Megarif spoke at a rally in Benghazi, the eastern Libyan city, that was the birthplace of the anti-Gaddafi uprising in 2011.
Libya has been roiled by instability and violence since the ouster of the Gaddafi regime in late 2011. Benghazi has been among the worst-hit parts of the country, falling prey to armed militiamen and Muslim militants. El-Megarif alluded to the rise of radical Islam in the energy-rich nation, vowing that he would not allow Libya to become "an incubator of terrorism and violence”.
In what appeared to be an attempt to assuage the militants, the Libyan leader promised that the nation`s next Constitution would explicitly declare Islam as the country`s religion and that Islamic law, or Shariah, would be the main source of legislation.
He also vowed to push for laws that would "isolate" remnants of the old Gaddafi regime, another bid to appease militants who claim that members of the ousted regime remained in charge of many government departments as well as the security forces.
Today`s celebration was held amid tight security precautions. Army vehicles blocked roads leading to the site and snipers deployed on nearby rooftops.
Underlining the depth of resentment in Benghazi toward the central government in the capital, Tripoli, several youths among the crowd interrupted el-Megarif`s speech with hostile chants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic