Libyan opposition sets conditions for cease-fire
Benghazi: Libya`s rebels will agree to a cease-fire if Muammar Gaddafi pulls his military forces out of cities and allows peaceful protests against his regime, an opposition leader said Friday.
Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, head of the opposition`s interim governing council based in Benghazi, spoke during a joint press conference with UN envoy Abdelilah Al-Khatib. Al-Khatib is visiting the rebels` de-facto stronghold of Benghazi in hopes of reaching a political solution to the crisis embroiling the North African nation.
Abdul-Jalil said the rebels` condition for a cease fire is "that the Gaddafi brigades and forces withdraw from inside and outside Libyan cities to give freedom to the Libyan people to choose and the world will see that they will choose freedom."
The UN resolution that authorized international airstrikes against Libya called for Gaddafi and the rebels to end hostilities. Gaddafi announced a cease-fire immediately but has shown no sign of heeding it. His forces continue to attack rebels in the east, where the opposition in strongest, and have besieged the only major rebel-held city in the west, Misrata.
Abdul-Jalil said the regime must withdraw its forces and lift all sieges.
He stressed the ultimate goal was Gaddafi`s ouster.
"Our aim is to liberate and have sovereignty over all of Libya with its capital in Tripoli," he said.
The UN said Al-Khatib, arrived Thursday in Tripoli.
Forces loyal to Libya`s leader of nearly 42 years spent much of this week pushing the rebels back about 100 miles (160 kilometers) along the coast, and the opposition was trying to regroup. The rebels had mortars Friday, weapons they previously appeared to have lacked, and on Thursday night they drove in a convoy with at least eight rocket launchers — more artillery than usual.
The rebels also appeared to have more communication equipment such as radios and satellite phones, and were working in more organized units, in which military defectors were each leading six or seven volunteers.
The rebels` losses this week, and others before airstrikes began March 19, underlined that their equipment, training and organization were far inferior to those of Gaddafi`s forces. The recent changes appear to be an attempt to correct, or at least ease, the imbalance.
In another change, rebels were holding journalists back at the western gate of Ajdabiya, far from the fighting. It was unclear where the front line was Friday, but on Thursday had moved into Brega, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) east of Ajdabiya, before Gaddafi`s forces pushed them out.
Gaddafi`s greatest losses this week were not military but political. Two members of his inner circle, including his foreign minister, abandoned him Wednesday and Thursday, setting off speculation about other officials who may be next. The defections could sway people who have stuck with Gaddafi despite the uprising that began Feb. 15 and the international airstrikes aimed at keeping the autocrat from attacking his own people.
Libyan state TV aired a phone interview with intelligence chief Bouzeid Dorda to knock down rumors that he also left Gaddafi.
"I am in Libya and will remain here steadfast in the same camp of the revolution despite everything," Dorda said. "I never thought to cross the borders or violate commitment to the people, the revolution and the leader."
Gadhafi struck a defiant stance in a statement Thursday, saying he`s not the one who should go — it`s the Western leaders who attacking his military with airstrikes who should resign immediately. Gaddafi`s message was undercut by its delivery — a scroll across the bottom of state TV as he remained out of sight.
The White House said the strongman`s inner circle was clearly crumbling with the loss of Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa, who flew from Tunisia to England on Wednesday. Koussa is privy to all the inner workings of the regime, so his departure could open the door for some hard intelligence, though Britain refused to offer him immunity from prosecution.
Ali Abdessalam Treki, a former foreign minister and UN General Assembly president, announced his departure on several opposition websites the next day, saying "It is our nation`s right to live in freedom and democracy and enjoy a good life."
Gaddafi accused the leaders of the countries attacking his forces of being "affected by power madness."
"The solution for this problem is that they resign immediately and their peoples find alternatives to them," the Libya state news agency quoted him as saying.
His government`s forces have regained momentum on the rapidly moving front line of the battle with opposition forces, retaking the town of Brega after pushing the rebels miles back toward the territory they hold in eastern Libya.
The rebels said they were undaunted, taking heart from the departures in Gaddafi`s inner circle.
"We believe that the regime is crumbling from within," opposition spokesman Mustafa Gheriani said in Benghazi, the rebels` de facto capital.
Libyan officials, who initially denied Koussa`s defection, said he had resigned because he was sick with diabetes and high blood pressure. Government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said Koussa was given permission to go to Tunisia, but the regime was surprised to learn he had flown to London.
"I talked to many people and this is not a happy piece of news, but people are saying, `So what? If someone wants to step down that`s his decision,`" Ibrahim said.
Nations behind the campaign of international airstrikes that have hobbled Libya`s military hailed Koussa`s resignation as a sign of weakness in Gaddafi`s reign. They`re hoping for nonmilitary solution, in part because the rebels have been seriously outgunned.
The US has ruled out using ground troops in Libya but it is considering providing arms to the rebels.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates, however, told Congress on Thursday that the US still knows little about the rebels, and that if anyone arms and trains them it should be some other country.
Asked by a lawmaker whether US involvement might inevitably mean "boots on the ground" in Libya, Gates replied, "Not as long as I am in this job."
NATO is among those saying a new UN resolution would be required to arm rebels, though Britain and the US disagree. Several world leaders oppose arming rebels, including Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who said in London that it could "create an environment which could be conducive to terrorism."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe