Libyan PM puts ‘security, stability’ top of agenda
London: Libyan Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Keib told a meeting in London, where he is making a two-day visit, that the current interim government`s main aim was to "make sure that security and stability are ensured."
Security and stability were necessary to "organize the elections for the General National Council in an atmosphere of security, freedom, and transparency," he said.
The current Libyan interim government, the Transitional National Council (TNC) has put in place a serious program for disarmament, said El-Keib, adding that it has also adopted measures to control weapons of mass destruction among others.
El-Keib told an audience of diplomats, experts, and journalists at the independent London strategy institute Chatham House about the progress Libya had made since the end of the Gaddafi regime in October last year.
The General National Council election was due to take place next month.
Before he gave his talk, El-Keib visited a memorial next door which marks the spot where a British policewoman was killed in 1984 by gunfire from the Libyan Embassy, which was at that time in the area.
The policewoman was monitoring a demonstration by Libyan opponents of the Gadhafi regime, and her death led to an 11-day armed siege of the embassy, and the severing of diplomatic ties between Libya and Britain.
No prosecutions were made over the policewoman``s death, but earlier this week El-Keib said that British police officers would be granted visas to enter Libya to pursue their inquiries into the death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video