Libyan rebels downplay al Qaeda charges
Benghazi: A spokesman for Libyan rebels fighting Muammar Gaddafi`s regime on Wednesday played down allegations by a top NATO commander that there may be al Qaeda fighters in their ranks.
"We don`t have this organisation in Libya because their culture is different from ours," Colonel Ahmed Bani told reporters in the rebel stronghold Benghazi.
"If there are any Libyans who were associated with al Qaeda around the world and are now in Libya, they are fighting on behalf of Libya. If," he emphasised.
He told the same press conference that Wednesday`s chaotic stampede of rebel forces back from a number of villages they had seized in recent days came after they were confronted by a force of thousands of Chadian Republican Guards.
"We found that the best response was a tactical retreat until we can develop a better strategy for confronting this force," he said, saying it numbered between 3,200 and 3,600 heavily armed troops.
He claimed to have "three sources" for the presence of the foreign troops but did not give further details about where the information came from.
"The dictator and his military and mercenaries will not make it to Benghazi," he said, referring to forces loyal to Gaddafi, whose 42-year rule is being challenged by the weeks-old insurgency.
On Tuesday, top NATO commander and US Admiral James Stavridis said the alliance was trying to gain a clearer picture of the rebels who had advanced with the help of Western-led coalition air strikes.
"We have seen flickers in the intelligence of potential al Qaeda, Hezbollah. We`ve seen different things," he said, referring to Osama bin Laden`s global jihadist network and Lebanon`s Shi’ite Muslim militia.
"At this point, I don`t have detail sufficient to say that there`s a significant al Qaeda presence or any other terrorist presence in and among" (rebel forces), Stavridis said.
Al Qaeda militant Abu Yahya al-Libi, himself a Libyan whose whereabouts are unknown, has urged on the rebellion against Gaddafi, and al Qaeda in North Africa has vowed to do everything in its power to help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year