Libyan rebels free 10,000 from Gaddafi prisons
Tripoli: A rebel military spokesman says rebels have freed more than 10,000 from Muammar Gaddafi`s prisons since entering Tripoli last week.
But Ahmed Bani said that some 50,000 people are unaccounted for.
Gaddafi`s regime sought to break the uprising that broke out in mid-February by locking up thousands of people. Many have been released, but evidence has emerged that regime forces executed dozens of prisoners as rebels seized the capital.
Bani told reporters in the eastern city of Benghazi Sunday that rebels are still searching for Gaddafi. Rebels say many Gaddafi loyalists have fled to Sirte, headquarters of his tribe and his last major bastion.
Bani said: "We hope that Gaddafi is still in Libya, so we can rid the world of this insect."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in