Libyan rebels need arms: US Senator McCain
Paris: The revolt against Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi could stall unless the rebels battling his regime receive weapons and increased air support, influential US Senator John McCain warned on Wednesday.
"There is a possibility if not a probability of a stalemate, and that should be of deep concern to us," the former presidential candidate and ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee said.
"The United States needs to recognise the TNC as France and Italy have done. They need to get supplies and equipment into the liberation forces, and we need to get American air power back into the fight," he said.
He confirmed that these supplies should include weapons, but suggested that these not be directly supplied by the United States.
"I think we could do the same thing that we did in the Afghan struggle against the Russians. There are ways to get weapons in without direct US supplying," he said, referring to US covert action in the 1980s.
The TNC is Libya`s "Transitional National Council", the political arm of the rebellion, which has been recognised by Paris and Rome but not yet by Washington as legitimately representing the Libyan people.
"I`m glad that the Predator is now there, it`s a very effective weapon, but I think there`s more that needs to be done," he added, referring to the armed drone deployed last week by US forces to strike regime targets.
McCain said he remains opposed to sending US ground troops to Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!