Libyan to sue NATO over family deaths
Brussels: A Libyan will seek damages
against NATO in a Belgian civil court, accusing the alliance
of killing his wife and three children in an air strike, his
lawyer said on Wednesday.
Khaled Hemidi says his wife and children were killed
in a bombing west of Tripoli on June 20 that had targetted his
father, Khuwildi Hemidi, who is close to the regime of Libyan
leader Muammar Gaddafi and escaped unharmed.
NATO said at the time that warplanes had struck a
high-level command and control centre in Sorman, 70 kilometres
The regime charged that 15 people, including three
children, were killed, but NATO insisted that the target was
of military nature and that it goes to great lengths to avoid
Hemidi will file a lawsuit against NATO in Brussels
today over the deaths of this 34-year-old wife Safae, his two
daughters, ages four and five, and his three-year-old son, his
lawyer Ghislain Dubois said.
"The action is based on civil wrong due to NATO`s
violation of the UN mandate, under Resolution 1973, which was
aimed at protecting civilians," Dubois said.
The lawsuit will be filed in a court in Brussels
because NATO`s headquarters are located in the Belgian
capital. The first court hearing would take place seven to 10
days later, the lawyer said.
Dubois will seek an initial compensation of 100,000
euros for his client before seeking more, yet to be specified
The Sorman bombing came after NATO admitted that one
of its missiles went astray in a Tripoli bombing that the
regime said killed nine civilians.
The Tripoli blunder was criticised by Italian Foreign
Minister Franco Frattini who then called for a suspension of
hostilities in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow