Libyans clash with former regime loyalists, 2 dead
Tripoli: A resident of a city in western Libya says at least two people were killed after gunmen ransacked a home in search of a regime figure once loyal to Muammar Gaddafi.
Basem al-Tarhoni says angry residents in Tarhouna retaliated by torching the headquarters of some 100 fighters who helped topple the longtime leader from power.
Tarhouna was widely seen as a Gaddafi favorite, and its dominant tribe, also called Tarhouna, held many positions in the Libyan military. The city`s residents are viewed with suspicion by former rebels.
Such clashes are a major challenge for Libya`s new rulers.
The clashes took place on the same day security ministers announced a program for integrating former rebels in civil institutions. The ministers gave few details and offered no timetable for disarming fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan