Libyans to get Constitution offer after crisis
Tripoli: A draft Constitution under preparation for four years will be submitted to the Libyan people at the end of a crisis that has raged since mid-February, the head of Parliament said late Saturday.
Mohamed Zwei, head of the General People`s Congress, said: "The draft was given to us recently. We have a legal committee that must examine the text before submitting it to the Basic People`s Congresses" (local Parliaments) as laid down in leader Muammar Gaddafi`s theory of "people`s power”.
"The BPCs will revise the articles of the Constitution and carry out amendments as desired once the situation in the country calms down," he added.
On February 21, a few days after the insurrection began, Gaddafi`s son Seif al-Islam had said the Parliament would meet shortly to decide on a new penal code and new laws giving more freedom to the press and civil society, as well as "starting a dialogue on a Constitution”.
The Libyan government formed a judicial committee at the end of 2008 to examine a text drawn up by the Gaddafi Foundation headed by Seif al-Islam.
Ibrahim Moukhzam, committee member and expert in constitutional law, told a press conference that it would be a "modern Constitution" inspired by "dozens of European and Third World countries` Constitutions”.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case