Libyans to get Constitution offer after crisis
Tripoli: A draft Constitution under preparation for four years will be submitted to the Libyan people at the end of a crisis that has raged since mid-February, the head of Parliament said late Saturday.
Mohamed Zwei, head of the General People`s Congress, said: "The draft was given to us recently. We have a legal committee that must examine the text before submitting it to the Basic People`s Congresses" (local Parliaments) as laid down in leader Muammar Gaddafi`s theory of "people`s power”.
"The BPCs will revise the articles of the Constitution and carry out amendments as desired once the situation in the country calms down," he added.
On February 21, a few days after the insurrection began, Gaddafi`s son Seif al-Islam had said the Parliament would meet shortly to decide on a new penal code and new laws giving more freedom to the press and civil society, as well as "starting a dialogue on a Constitution”.
The Libyan government formed a judicial committee at the end of 2008 to examine a text drawn up by the Gaddafi Foundation headed by Seif al-Islam.
Ibrahim Moukhzam, committee member and expert in constitutional law, told a press conference that it would be a "modern Constitution" inspired by "dozens of European and Third World countries` Constitutions”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown