Libya`s ambassador to EU defects
Brussels: The Libyan ambassador to the European Union defected on Thursday, the EU said.
The defection of Al Hadi Hadeiba, who was Muammar Gaddafi`s ambassador to the EU and the Benelux countries, followed a period of discussion with EU officials, an EU diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The move was welcomed by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
"The High Representative welcomes the decision by... Mr Al Hadi Hadeiba, to sever links with the Gaddafi regime, in protest at the violent repression of the Libyan people," Ashton`s spokesman, Michael Mann, said.
"We have been in contact with him and praise his courageous decision to work for a democratic Libya and a better future for the Libyan people."
Hadeiba could not immediately be reached for comment. The EU statement said EU officials would stay in close contact with the envoy as part of efforts to support groups working for a peaceful and democratic transition in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket