Libya`s NTC hands power to new Assembly
Tripoli: Libya`s National Transitional Council on Wednesday handed over power to the newly-elected national assembly in a ceremony and the assembly is due to begin its work a week from now, according to the official LANA news agency.
"The National Transitional Council hands over the constitutional duties for leading the state to the general national congress, which from now on is the sole legitimate representative of the Libyan people," NTC chief Mustafa Abdel Jalil said.
The assembly will name a new prime minister who will pick his government, pass laws and steer Libya to full Parliamentary Elections after a new Constitution is drafted next year.
Representatives of civil society groups and diplomatic missions in Libya, as well as NTC and government officials, attended the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details