Libya`s Supreme Court rules election of PM violates constitution
Tripoli: Libya`s Supreme Court ruled on Monday that parliament`s election of Prime Minister Ahmed Maiteeq a month ago was "unconstitutional", state television said.
Maiteeq`s appointment as head of Libya`s interim government followed a chaotic vote and was disputed by some lawmakers and judicial experts.
Outgoing Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni, a career army officer who resigned in April, refused to hand over power to Maiteeq, who was elected by independent and Muslim Brother Islamists.
Thinni said parliament had given him conflicting reports on the validity of the election and said he would wait for a court decision.
Libya`s parliament is divided between Islamists and more moderate forces as well as along tribal and regional lines.
"The ruling decided ... the appointment of Mr Ahmed Maiteeq as premier of the interim government was unconstitutional," television reported.
OPEC producer Libya is struggling with chaos as government and parliament struggle to impose authority on a country awash with arms and militias who ousted former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 but now defy state authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!