Lieberman `urges crippling sanctions` on Iran
Jerualem: Only crippling sanctions against
Iran`s central bank and its oil and gas industries will force
Tehran to halt its nuclear drive, a senior Israeli minister
said in remarks published on Tuesday.
According to the Maariv newspaper, Foreign Minister
Avigdor Lieberman said the only thing which would cause Iran`s
Islamic regime to sit up and listen was a series of "crippling
His remarks were made ahead of the publication of a key
report by the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic
Energy Agency (IAEA), which is expected to provide fresh
evidence of Iran`s nuclear weapons drive.
"If, after the IAEA report comes out, the United States
does not lead an initiative of crippling sanctions against
Iran, this will mean that the United States and the West have
accepted a nuclear Iran," the paper quoted him as saying
"Crippling sanctions" meant targeting Iran`s central bank
and its oil and gas industries, he said.
Only such a course of action would yield real results and
show Tehran`s Islamic rulers that continuing the nuclear race
would endanger Iran`s future as well as their chances of
continuing to govern, Lieberman said.
The new IAEA report is likely to be circulated among IAEA
members on Tuesday or Wednesday, and will focus on Iran`s
alleged efforts towards putting radioactive material in a
warhead and developing missiles, diplomats say.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what