Life in prison OK for bin Laden aide: US court
New York: A US appeals court on Friday upheld the life sentence given to a former Osama bin Laden aide who stabbed a prison guard in the eye.
The 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals said Mamdouh Mahmud Salim`s right to be present at his resentencing hearing two years ago was violated but that the error was not severe enough to warrant another sentencing.
US District Judge Deborah Batts had imposed the sentence for what she called his "unusually cruel, brutal" attack in 2000 on guard Louis Pepe at the Metropolitan Correctional Centre in New York. The attack occurred as Salim awaited trial in the August 1998 bombings of two US embassies in Africa. The attacks killed 224 people, including a dozen Americans.
Before the September 11, 2011, attacks, Salim was believed to be the highest-ranking al Qaeda member held in the US. Salim, 54, had challenged the fact that he only appeared at sentencing on video and said there were technical difficulties in the videoconference link.
A defence lawyer and prosecutors did not immediately comment on the ruling.
The stabbing left Pepe brain-damaged and blind in one eye. Batts also ordered Salim to pay USD 4.72 million in restitution to cover the medical expenses for Pepe`s continuing rehabilitation.
The resentencing occurred because the appeals court found that the original sentence in 2004 of 32 years in prison did not properly consider the terrorism aspects of the offence.
At the resentencing, Salim said: "I`m not a criminal. I`m not a terrorist." He said the stabbing occurred as he was trying to stab his defence lawyers to force them out of the case because he believed they were federal agents.
He sprayed Pepe with hot sauce to blind him before stabbing him in the eye with a sharpened comb he had hidden in his cell.
At the 2004 sentencing, Salim called the attack "the biggest mistake in my life”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees