Lighting costs Rio`s iconic Christ statue tip of thumb
Rio De Janeiro: The iconic statue of Jesus overlooking Rio de Janeiro, one of the city`s most recognizable landmarks, has lost a thumb tip to lightening, a report said .
Christ the Redeemer, the giant monument and tourist magnet that looms atop nearby Mount Corcovado, was damaged in a huge storm Thursday night, O Globo newspaper reported on its website yesterday.
Standing at 38 metres - pedestal and all - the statue was named in a 2007 global poll as one of seven new wonders of the world.
Site caretaker Father Osmar Raposo said the giant concrete figure that juts from the mountain top some 710 metres above Rio`s beaches, would undergo repair next month.
O Globo broadcast helicopter images of the statue on its G1 web portal, showing part of Christ`s right thumb missing.
Brazil`s national space institute INPE counted more than 40,000 lighting flashes during the three-hour storm which felled dozens of trees and flooded streets.
Winds gusting at 87 kilometres per hour forced one of Rio`s airports to close and brought a halt to boat trips across the city`s Guanabara Bay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31