Lightning hits Vatican church after pope announces resignation
London: A lightning touched the roof of one of the holiest Catholic churches in the Vatican hours after Pope Benedict XVI`s announced his decision to quit.
Benedict announced his resignation in Latin during a meeting of Vatican cardinals, calling it ‘a decision of great importance for the life of the church.’
He emphasised that carrying out the duties of being pope requires "both strength of mind and body."
According to the Daily Mirror, the lightning touched the dome of St. Peter`s Basilica after the Pope`s shock admission he lacks strength to do the job.
The Vatican stressed that no specific medical condition prompted Benedict`s decision to quit, the first pontiff to do so in 600 years.
The move surprised even his closest aides, even though Benedict, 85, had made clear in the past he would step down if he became too old or infirm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more