Lightning hits Vatican church after pope announces resignation
London: A lightning touched the roof of one of the holiest Catholic churches in the Vatican hours after Pope Benedict XVI`s announced his decision to quit.
Benedict announced his resignation in Latin during a meeting of Vatican cardinals, calling it ‘a decision of great importance for the life of the church.’
He emphasised that carrying out the duties of being pope requires "both strength of mind and body."
According to the Daily Mirror, the lightning touched the dome of St. Peter`s Basilica after the Pope`s shock admission he lacks strength to do the job.
The Vatican stressed that no specific medical condition prompted Benedict`s decision to quit, the first pontiff to do so in 600 years.
The move surprised even his closest aides, even though Benedict, 85, had made clear in the past he would step down if he became too old or infirm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test