Washington: Below is a list of previous executions of Westerners by jihadist organizations since 2002, after the Islamic State group on Friday claimed responsibility for the murder of British aid worker Alan Henning.
In a video, almost identical to those released after three previous murders, a masked IS militant also threatens a hostage he identifies as an American, Peter Kassig. - January 23, 2002 - PAKISTAN: Reporter Daniel Pearl, working for The Wall Street Journal and researching a story about Islamist militants, is kidnapped in the southern city of Karachi and beheaded.
A graphic video showing his decapitation is delivered to the US consulate a month later.
- October 28, 2002 - JORDAN: Diplomat Laurence Foley, responsible for the US development agency USAID, is shot at close range outside his Amman home.
Jordanian Abu Musab Zarqawi, the head of the Al-Qaeda terror network in Iraq, is in 2004 sentenced to death in his absence for the killing. He is killed in 2006 in an American raid north of Baghdad.
- May 11, 2004 - IRAQ: A video on an Internet site linked to Al-Qaeda shows the beheading of businessman Nicholas Berg, who was abducted early April in Baghdad.
According to US security forces, the masked executioner is Zarqawi.
- June 18, 2004 - SAUDI ARABIA: An Islamist Internet site disseminates photos of the beheading of American aeronautical engineer Paul Marshall Johnson, who had been abducted several days earlier in Riyadh.
On August 19, 2014, a Riyadh court sentences an Al-Qaeda member to death and imposes jail terms of four to 30 years on 13 co-defendants for the crimes.
- September 20, 2004 - IRAQ: A particularly hardline group, led by Zarqawi, announces the decapitation of Eugene Armstrong, an American kidnapped September 16 in Baghdad, with one of his compatriots Jack Hensley and Briton Kenneth Bigley.
Hensley`s execution is announced a day later.
- August 19, 2014 - IRAQ/SYRIA: The IS group posts a video of the decapitation of US journalist James Foley, 40, who was seized in northern Syria in November 2012.
One day later US officials announce there had been a failed earlier bid to rescue American hostages in Syria.
- September 2, 2014 - IRAQ/SYRIA: The IS group goes on to behead journalist Steven Sotloff, again releasing a propaganda video showing the ghastly killing.
The freelance reporter was kidnapped August 4, 2013 in Aleppo near Syria`s Turkish border. His abduction was kept secret under a news blackout.- October 8, 2004 - IRAQ: The execution of engineer Bigley is announced, three weeks after his abduction by Zarqawi`s group.
- June 3, 2009 - THE SAHEL: The North African branch of Al-Qaeda, AQIM, claims its first execution of a western hostage, Edwin Dyer, kidnapped on January 22 in the border area between Mali and Niger.
The tourist was in the hands of the group of Algerian Abdelhamid Abou Zeid, who several witnesses say cut Dyer`s throat himself.
- September 13, 2014 - IRAQ/SYRIA: The IS group claims to have beheaded aid worker David Haines, as the US launches a vast diplomatic offensive to build an international coalition against the jihadists.
Haines was seized by militants in March 2013, while working for a Paris-based NGO.
- October 3, 2014 - IRAQ/SYRIA: The IS jihadist group claims responsibility for the murder of Henning.- April 19, 2010 - MALI: Michel Germaneau, a retired French engineer, 78, is abducted in northern Niger and taken to Mali by AQIM, which announces his execution on July 25 after a failed Franco-Mauritanian raid to liberate him. Seven members of AQIM are killed in the raid.
- November 24, 2011 - MALI: Philippe Verdon is kidnapped from his hotel in Hombori in northeastern Mali. On March 20, 2013, AQIM announces that it has killed Verdon, in response to France`s intervention in the country. The autopsy reveals that he was shot in the head.
- January 17, 2013 - SOMALIA: Somalia`s Shebab Islamists, linked to Al-Qaeda, say they have executed a French agent, Denis Allex, they had held since 2009, in retaliation for a failed rescue attempt.
- November 6, 2013 - MALI: AQIM claims responsibility for the November 2 murders of two French journalists shot dead in Mali`s desert town of Kidal -- Ghislaine Dupont and Claude Verlon.
- September 24, 2014 - ALGERIA: IS-linked Jund al-Khilifa, or "Soldiers of the Caliphate," claim to have beheaded Herve Gourdel, abducted four days earlier in Algeria, in a video posted online after Paris rejected their demand to halt air strikes in Iraq.- April 14, 2004 - IRAQ: Security guard Fabrizio Quattrocchi is shot at point-blank range, two days after his abduction, to punish Italy for refusing to withdraw its soldiers from Iraq.
He becomes the first foreign hostage killed in Iraq.
- August 20, 2004 - IRAQ: Journalist Enzo Baldoni is abducted on the road between Baghdad and Najaf. His filmed execution is claimed August 26 by a group calling itself the Islamic Army in Iraq.
- April 15, 2011 - GAZA STRIP: Vittorio Arrigoni, a pro-Palestinian militant, is found hanged in a house in the Gaza Strip several hours after being taken hostage by a salafist-jihadist group.- February 7, 2009 - PAKISTAN: Polish geologist Piotr Stanczak is beheaded after having been held for more than four months by Islamist militants in northwestern Pakistan.