Lithuanian goes on trial over alleged Islamist bomb plot
Vilnius: A Lithuanian woman went on trial
behind closed doors in the Baltic state today on charges of
plotting a suicide bombing in Russia for an Islamist network.
Egle Kusaite, 21, denies the charges and claims that
Lithuanian and Russian security forces used physical and
mental pressure to force an earlier confession.
Kusaite, wearing jeans and a grey sweater, arrived at
the court in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius with her mother
and more than a dozen supporters who, along with reporters,
were ordered to leave the chamber by the judge.
"I want the public to be fully informed about my
case," Kusaite said, as the judge ruled that the trial should
take place behind closed doors.
"This whole process is unfair. They are afraid that
people will hear how the evidence was collected," she told
Prosecutor Mindaugas Duda said the decision was
"Witnesses who have anonymity will be questioned, and
there is also a threat of disclosing methods of operational
activity," he told reporters.
Kusaite was arrested in October 2009, charged in May
this year, and released from remand in August pending her
She is accused of having plotted to strike at military
targets related to the conflict in Chechnya, a southern,
Muslim-majority region of Russia where Moscow has fought two
wars with separatists since 1994.
Prosecutors claim that Kusaite developed a network of
contacts with Islamist militants in Russia as well as
Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and Britain.
Kusaite is a convert to Islam -- the vast majority of
Lithuania`s 3.3 million people are Roman Catholic -- and
claims that Lithuanian intelligence has been trying to set her
up for several years.
Prosecutors have rejected that allegation.
They have also denied her claim that she was beaten
and subjected to mental pressure by Lithuanian officers, and
that Russian counterparts who came to the Baltic state as
observers were allowed to interrogate and mistreat her.
Today`s hearing lasted three hours. The next session
is scheduled for March.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed