Liu Xiaobo`s prison conditions improved after Nobel: Wife
Paris: Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo`s prison conditions improved significantly after he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, his wife said in an interview published Wednesday in the French online daily Mediapart.
"Things are much better for him now," Liu Xia said. "They treat him better, they give him better food. Liu Xiaobo even has a hotplate in his cell now."
Liu Xia said she wanted to travel to Oslo to pick up the award for her husband, but it would be very difficult.
"I have a passport, but I`m not allowed to leave my residence," she said. "And if I do make it to Norway, will they allow me back into China?"
Liu Xia has been confined to her apartment by police since she returned late Sunday from a meeting with her husband in the north-eastern city of Jinzhou, where Liu Xiaobo is serving an 11-year sentence for subversion.
She said that her husband had learned from his jailers, one day before she met with him, that he won the Nobel Peace Prize.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA