Lockerbie bombing case ‘closed’: Libya govt

Last Updated: Friday, March 1, 2013 - 12:40

London: The new Libyan government has poured cold water on hopes of British police expecting a more open investigation into the Lockerbie bombing case after Muammar Gaddafi’s ouster, saying the case is now ‘closed’.

Senior officials from the Libya’s justice department declared the matter “over” and “something of the past”.

Libyan Deputy Justice Minister Hameda al-Magery said that they ‘want to move forward to build a new future and not to look back at Gaddafi`s black history.’

He said that the case was closed and both UK and US governments agreed to this, adding that they had their compensation, the Independent reports.

The British police had been due to reopen inquiries in Libya into the bomb on Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland in 1988 that killed 270 people.

The American government was also said to be interested in looking again.

The families of the Lockerbie victims received GBP 1.43 billion in compensation from the Libyan government in 2003.

ANI



First Published: Friday, March 1, 2013 - 12:40

comments powered by Disqus