Locklear confirmed to lead US Pacific Command
Honolulu: Navy Admiral Samuel Locklear will be the US military`s next leader in the Asia-Pacific region.
US Pacific Command spokesman Lt Cmdr Bill Clinton said on Friday the US Senate had confirmed Locklear`s nomination to head the command, which has its headquarters near Honolulu.
In confirmation hearings earlier this month, Locklear said he wants improved military ties with China but noted that China must be committed to open exchanges.
He told the Senate Armed Services Committee that China`s military buildup is a source of strategic uncertainty. He described the current military relationship as "cooperative but competitive”.
Locklear currently is chief of US naval forces in Europe and Africa, and commander of Allied Joint Forces Command in Naples, Italy. He commanded US and NATO-led operations in Libya that eventually toppled Muammar Gaddafi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley