London Mayor mistaken for King of England, Boris Becker in Delhi!
London: London Mayor Boris Johnson, who is on a six-day tour to India to promote business links, was mistaken to be Wimbledon legend Boris Becker and King of England in the subcontinent.
“One of the locals shouted out it was Boris Becker while some people asked whether he was the King of England,” Akash Bharadia, 18, said.
"They know it`s Boris, that`s the main thing," he added.
According to the BBC, Boris said that the UK could no longer rely on the colonial sentiments of the past, as it seeks to build new business links with India.
Johnson began his tour visiting the Akshardham temple, before heading to India Gate.
"The objective is to build up what is a new partnership between London, the UK and India," he said.
"We can`t rely on sentiment. Everybody knows this. All this stuff about links and language doesn`t cut the mustard anymore,” he added.
"It`s all about what London has - the brands we can offer, the opportunities we can offer to Indian business," he said.
According to the report, he said that his main concern was that many young Indian people often decided to study in the US than in the UK.
"The worry is that young Indians are already orientated towards America," he said.
"Visas is a point but it`s not the only point. It`s the mood music, so what I want to do is explain how welcoming London is," he said.
Meanwhile, a US businessman who had his photo taken with the Mayor at his hotel just referred to him as ‘that guy on the zip line’, a reference to when Boris got stuck on a zip wire for several minutes when it stopped working at an Olympic live screen event, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended