London mosque under scanner for `terror links`
London: An east London mosque is being investigated by the Charity Commission in the UK over potential links to terrorist and extremist groups.
A letter sent by the commission says it is beginning a statutory inquiry into the Masjid-al-Tawhid mosque in Leyton.
It comes as liberal Imam Dr Usama Hasan resigned from the mosque following death threats for teaching about evolution and women`s rights.
According to the BBC, in the letter sent by the Charity Commission, it states the investigation will look into whether the Masjid-al-Tawhid Trust "allowed individuals with potential links to terrorist organisations to use the charity to promote and/or express extremist views; and/or the trustees have taken appropriate steps to safeguard the reputation of the charity”.
The commission said it would not comment on an ongoing investigation but it is understood the inquiry is the result of a number of complaints about the mosque.
According to reports, Dr Hasan, has who served as an Imam there for more than 25 years, has previously received abuse as well.
Some fundamental Muslims have been calling for his resignation for years because of his teachings about Islam being compatible with evolution and a woman`s right not to wear a hijab.
“There is a danger of Muslim extremism in general, so yes there is a danger of it at the mosque. Unfortunately they are serious allegations because some individuals with extremist and terrorist views slipped into the mosque over the years and preached there,” he said.
Dr Hasan added that after bringing in an arbiter to settle the dispute, he reached an agreement with the mosque that he would resign on the condition two other trustees also did.
The Masjid-al-Tawhid mosque declined to make any comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- India Couture Week: Anita Dongre brings couture for 'bride on the go'
- Pakistan taking unpleasant interest in imposing upon India their vicious motives: Khurshid
- Soon, share all kinds of files on WhatsApp; get better authentication feature
- Plea seeks imposition of Governor's rule in J&K; SC to hear matter next week
- Asthma breakthrough? Scientists find novel way to prevent the disease!