London police rescue three women held captive for 30 years
London: British police on Thursday rescued three women from a London home where they were believed held as slaves for at least 30 years by a couple who were arrested.
Officials identified the victims as a 69-year-old Malaysian woman, a 57-year-old Irish woman and a 30-year-old Briton.
Police described the women as "highly traumatised".
Detectives arrested a 67-year-old man and a 67-year-old woman at their home in south London.
Police swooped after being contacted last month by the Freedom Charity, which received a call from a woman stating she had been held against her will in a house in London for more than 30 years, Scotland Yard said.
Police said the woman had contacted the charity -- which helps young people to understand forced marriage and honour-based violence -- after seeing a TV documentary featuring the group`s work.
Detective Inspector Kevin Hyland, from Scotland Yard`s Human Trafficking Unit, said: "A television documentary on forced marriages relating to the work of Freedom Charity was the catalyst that prompted one of the victims to call for help and led to their rescue."
Police inquiries established the location of the house and with the help of "sensitive negotiations" conducted by the charity, the three women were rescued.
"We applaud the actions of Freedom Charity and are working in partnership to support these victims who appear to have been held for over 30 years," Hyland said.
"We have launched an extensive investigation to establish the facts surrounding these very serious allegations."
Earlier this year, three women who were imprisoned in a house in Cleveland, Ohio, for more than a decade were freed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next