London police spend over $5 mn in guarding Julian Assange
Sydney: The Scotland Yard has spent more than USD five million in guarding WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has sought asylum in Ecuadorian embassy in London.
The revelation comes as Assange prepares to mark his first anniversary taking refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.
Scotland Yard has revealed that since June 19, when he was formally granted asylum, it has cost them more than USD 5.2 million to provide around-the-clock police guards around the embassy.
According to news.com.au, with extra security from time to time for demonstrations, the police presence costs about USD 19,000.
The Scotland Yard revealed there are about eight police officers and video surveillance cameras outside the embassy at any given time, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?