London police spend over $5 mn in guarding Julian Assange
Sydney: The Scotland Yard has spent more than USD five million in guarding WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has sought asylum in Ecuadorian embassy in London.
The revelation comes as Assange prepares to mark his first anniversary taking refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.
Scotland Yard has revealed that since June 19, when he was formally granted asylum, it has cost them more than USD 5.2 million to provide around-the-clock police guards around the embassy.
According to news.com.au, with extra security from time to time for demonstrations, the police presence costs about USD 19,000.
The Scotland Yard revealed there are about eight police officers and video surveillance cameras outside the embassy at any given time, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources