Loopholes in London Olympics security exposed
London: A horrifying error in London Olympic Park security has been exposed after an already-vetted worker managed to carry a fake bomb inside the venue.
According to The Sun, the worker crossed two checkpoints in the Olympic Park with the dummy sentex device without being checked even once.
The flaw was exposed just 24 hours before 40,000 people flocked there for the opening ceremony of the Olympics Stadium, 82 days before the games.
The tabloid took the help of worker to expose the security flaw.
The worker revealed: "I`ve worked for several years on the Olympic Park and keep hearing how the security is water-tight, but after a thorough check every morning, I can come and go from the Park all the day with my digger without being searched at all".
It later emerged that The Sun had prepared the fake bomb that even had a timer.
Astonishingly, guards failed to spot anything as the worker drove through with the bomb unnoticed.
Once inside the stadium, the man openly took photos of the package next to apartments in the athletes` village, which will soon house up to 17,000 of the world`s top competitors.
When the Sun showed the evidence to the British Home Office, they said: "LOCOG (the Games organisers) are responsible for the security of the Olympic Park. We have asked them to look into this incident and report back to the Home Secretary urgently."
Security for the Olympics costs about a billion pounds, and there are about 23,700 guards, boosted by nearly 14,000 troops at key times. The Olympic Park is also surrounded by an 11-mile electric fence that costs GBP 80 million.
This is a taste of Britain`s worst Olympic nightmare, that extremists such as al Qaeda could stage a terror spectacular to stun the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate