Lopsided victory re-elects Angela Merkel as CDU leader
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been re-elected as her party`s leader with a landslide majority of 98 per cent of the vote.
The backing by the delegates of her conservative Christian Democratic Union today gives Merkel a strong mandate to pursue her policies in fighting off Europe`s debt crisis and contesting the national elections due next year.
"I`m flabbergasted and moved," Merkel told a cheering audience at her party`s annual convention in Hannover.
Merkel has led the party since 2000 and has governed Europe`s biggest economy as the country`s first female chancellor since 2005.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged