Lopsided victory re-elects Angela Merkel as CDU leader
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been re-elected as her party`s leader with a landslide majority of 98 per cent of the vote.
The backing by the delegates of her conservative Christian Democratic Union today gives Merkel a strong mandate to pursue her policies in fighting off Europe`s debt crisis and contesting the national elections due next year.
"I`m flabbergasted and moved," Merkel told a cheering audience at her party`s annual convention in Hannover.
Merkel has led the party since 2000 and has governed Europe`s biggest economy as the country`s first female chancellor since 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'