Lopsided victory re-elects Angela Merkel as CDU leader
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been re-elected as her party`s leader with a landslide majority of 98 per cent of the vote.
The backing by the delegates of her conservative Christian Democratic Union today gives Merkel a strong mandate to pursue her policies in fighting off Europe`s debt crisis and contesting the national elections due next year.
"I`m flabbergasted and moved," Merkel told a cheering audience at her party`s annual convention in Hannover.
Merkel has led the party since 2000 and has governed Europe`s biggest economy as the country`s first female chancellor since 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened