Lopsided victory re-elects Angela Merkel as CDU leader
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been re-elected as her party`s leader with a landslide majority of 98 per cent of the vote.
The backing by the delegates of her conservative Christian Democratic Union today gives Merkel a strong mandate to pursue her policies in fighting off Europe`s debt crisis and contesting the national elections due next year.
"I`m flabbergasted and moved," Merkel told a cheering audience at her party`s annual convention in Hannover.
Merkel has led the party since 2000 and has governed Europe`s biggest economy as the country`s first female chancellor since 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan