Lucky escape as Australian cinema ceiling collapses
Sydney: Dozens of Australian moviegoers were injured on Monday when the roof of a cinema crashed down on them during a wild storm, forcing them to scramble under seats to avoid falling debris.
Police said 36 people suffered minor injuries at The Metro Cinema in the regional centre of Bathurst, 175 kilometres (110 miles) west of Sydney, when the building`s false ceiling fell down on them.
"All these patients received minor injuries, including cuts and abrasions, with the most serious injury occurring to one person being a shoulder injury," Ambulance Service paramedic Craig Pusser told the ABC.
Sixteen people were initially trapped in the collapse but emergency officials quickly released them before conducting a secondary sweep to ensure no one had been overlooked.
Moviegoers said children had screamed after parts of the ceiling began raining down on audiences in several screens at the multiplex theatre while one patron narrowly escaped being hit by a large piece of an air-conditioning unit.
"We were watching (Chronicles of) Narnia and we heard water leaking... at first we thought it could have been special effects," one witness told Sky News.
"And then it got louder and louder and then the roof was coming down on us."
Bathurst local Annastasia Burns, who had her three-month-old baby with her, said she was waiting for the movie "Love and Other Drugs" to begin when she realised something was wrong.
"Rain started coming through the corner of our cinema but no one worried too much," she told The Daily Telegraph.
"Then one person went out to tell the cinema staff and when she came back the water started pouring in and the whole ceiling fell. We hit the decks under the seats straight away."
"The entire ceiling fell and we were stuck under it."
Burns said she sheltered with her baby under the seats while a girlfriend who was 39-weeks pregnant who was also with her managed to crawl to safety.
Aaron Lange, who was at a restaurant neighbouring the cinema at the time, said about 40 people were brought into the eatery to be checked after the accident.
"As far as injuries are concerned I think they would be at the lower end," he told the ABC. "There were some children who seemed to be distressed, more than injured."
The intense storm which hit Bathurst brought wind gusts of up to 90 kilometres (56 miles) an hour to the town and dumped 10 millimetres (0.4 inches) of rain in 30 minutes, the weather bureau said.
Flooding has caused havoc across a massive area of northeastern Australia, but the latest incident was unrelated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks