Lufthansa reroutes flights to avoid Iraqi airspace
Berlin: German airline Lufthansa has said that the suspension of its flights to the northern Iraqi city of Erbil will continue due to security reasons.
The latest decision taken Monday affects twice-weekly services operated by Lufthansa from Frankfurt as well as daily flights by Austrian Airlines between Erbil and Vienna, Lufthansa said in a statement.
On flights to Asia and the Middle East, the Lufthansa airlines will continue to make a detour around Iraqi airspace, Xinhua reported.
US military forces have conducted multiple airstrikes against militants of the Islamic State (IS), previously known as Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), in northern Iraq over the weekend to defend Kurdish forces near Erbil.
Lufthansa Friday announced that it was suspending flights to Erbil, the only destination in Iraq that the airline serves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok