Lufthansa reroutes flights to avoid Iraqi airspace
Berlin: German airline Lufthansa has said that the suspension of its flights to the northern Iraqi city of Erbil will continue due to security reasons.
The latest decision taken Monday affects twice-weekly services operated by Lufthansa from Frankfurt as well as daily flights by Austrian Airlines between Erbil and Vienna, Lufthansa said in a statement.
On flights to Asia and the Middle East, the Lufthansa airlines will continue to make a detour around Iraqi airspace, Xinhua reported.
US military forces have conducted multiple airstrikes against militants of the Islamic State (IS), previously known as Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), in northern Iraq over the weekend to defend Kurdish forces near Erbil.
Lufthansa Friday announced that it was suspending flights to Erbil, the only destination in Iraq that the airline serves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MONSTROUS! When Brock Lesnar destroyed two opponents and a Cadillac
- Hillary Clinton's speech at Democratic presidential nomination - Watch video
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares mesmerising video of Newfoundland from space
- Obesity, smoking may up poor life quality in lung disease patients
- Amitabh Bachchan calls for educating Aanganwadis about Hepatitis