Lufthansa reroutes flights to avoid Iraqi airspace
Berlin: German airline Lufthansa has said that the suspension of its flights to the northern Iraqi city of Erbil will continue due to security reasons.
The latest decision taken Monday affects twice-weekly services operated by Lufthansa from Frankfurt as well as daily flights by Austrian Airlines between Erbil and Vienna, Lufthansa said in a statement.
On flights to Asia and the Middle East, the Lufthansa airlines will continue to make a detour around Iraqi airspace, Xinhua reported.
US military forces have conducted multiple airstrikes against militants of the Islamic State (IS), previously known as Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), in northern Iraq over the weekend to defend Kurdish forces near Erbil.
Lufthansa Friday announced that it was suspending flights to Erbil, the only destination in Iraq that the airline serves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in