Luxembourg approves same sex marriage
Luxembourg: Lawmakers in Luxembourg, whose prime minister is openly gay, overwhelmingly approved changes in the small European nation`s legislation governing marriage that will allow people of the same sex to wed and to adopt children.
The Chamber of Deputies voted 56-4 to adopt the bill, which is said to be part of the most fundamental rewrite of Luxembourg`s laws on marriage since 1804. Its website said the new rules could take effect in early 2015, or six months after their official publication.
The Human Rights Campaign, a US-based organisation in favour of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights, said yesterday`s vote makes Luxembourg the world`s 19th nation to grant "full marriage rights" to all of its citizens.
Xavier Bettel, who became Luxembourg`s prime minister in December, is openly gay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’