Ma leads in Taiwan presidential race: Polls
Taipei: Taiwan`s President Ma Ying-jeou enjoys a narrow lead over his opponents in his bid for re-election, poll results showed on Tuesday, the last day surveys to be released ahead of the January 14 vote.
Ma, elected in 2008 on a platform of boosting the economy,
is running for a second and final four-year term against Tsai
Ing-wen, chairwoman of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP),
and independent James Soong.
Tsai is vying to become Taiwan`s first female president
while political veteran Soong is mounting a comeback following
his narrow defeat in the 2000 presidential election.
Forty-four per cent of 2,011 people interviewed by the
United Daily News said they would vote for Ma, against Tsai`s
36 per cent and Soong`s seven per cent, although 13 per cent
were still undecided.
Ma, of the China-friendly Kuomintang, was boosted by
support from female and middle-aged voters, with a lead of
more than 10 percentage points in both categories, the
A TVBS news channel poll showed similar results, as Ma
maintained a lead of eight percentage points with 45 per cent
over Tsai`s 37 per cent while Soong had six per cent.
Non-partisan voters favoured Ma with 35 per cent, compared
with Tsai`s 26 per cent, according to the TVBS poll of 1,111
However, Ma and Tsai were much closer in a survey issued
by the Taipei-based China Times, with 39.5 per cent and 36.5
per cent, respectively, just on the border of the margin of
error of plus or minus three percentage points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know