Madeleine Albright calls drone strikes ‘very effective`
Washington: Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright has defended the US administration’s use of lethal drone strikes, calling them ‘very effective’ in wiping out terrorists.
Albright, however, also welcomed a public debate about their use.
During an interview on MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe’, she said that drone strikes are one of the most complicated and fascinating debates because one of the issues that actually came up during the Balkans in Kosovo — it was an air war and a lot of people said that that was not moral.
She added that drones have been very effective in terms of getting rid of people that are bound and determined to attack the country, but it has gotten to be a much more complicated issue and there should be a public discussion about the appropriateness of them.
According to Politico, debate over President Barack Obama’s use of targeted, covert drone strikes to kill terrorists in Yemen and Pakistan has erupted since the disclosure, last month, of a memo outlining the administration’s legal justification for killing an American citizen working with terrorist groups.
The memo was used to justify the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki, an Al Qaeda propagandist based in Yemen, in a drone strike, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India