Magnitude 4.4 quake rattles Los Angeles
Los Angeles: A magnitude 4.4 earthquake struck near Los Angeles on Tuesday, awakening residents but causing no apparent damage in the second largest US city, the US Geological Survey and witnesses said.
Police at the epicenter of Pico Rivera, 11 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage from the light quake.
It hit at 4:04 a.m. local time (1104 GMT) and lasted a few seconds, rousing many from their beds and prompting local television stations to issue bulletins. The quake was at a depth of nearly 11 miles on the Whittier fault.
Home to 10 million people, Los Angeles County had its last strong earthquake in Northridge in 1994, which killed some 60 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details