Magnitude 5.0 quake strikes northern Chile
Santiago: A mild 5.0 earthquake has struck Chile`s north-eastern region, but there are no reports of injuries or damage.
The US Geological Survey said the quake`s epicentre was 29 kilometres north-north-east of Putre, Chile and struck yesterday at 2:58 P.M. Local time (00:28 IST). The quake was not felt in the capital of Santiago. The Chilean Onemi Emergency Office said no injuries or damage were reported. Putre, the capital of the Arica-Paranicota region, is located at an altitude of 11,500 feet near the edge of the Lauca National Park.
Chile is one of the most highly seismic countries in the world. A massive 8.8-magnitude quake in 2010, one of the strongest ever recorded, killed 551 people and destroyed more than 200,000 homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic