Magnitude 5.0 quake strikes northern Chile
Santiago: A mild 5.0 earthquake has struck Chile`s north-eastern region, but there are no reports of injuries or damage.
The US Geological Survey said the quake`s epicentre was 29 kilometres north-north-east of Putre, Chile and struck yesterday at 2:58 P.M. Local time (00:28 IST). The quake was not felt in the capital of Santiago. The Chilean Onemi Emergency Office said no injuries or damage were reported. Putre, the capital of the Arica-Paranicota region, is located at an altitude of 11,500 feet near the edge of the Lauca National Park.
Chile is one of the most highly seismic countries in the world. A massive 8.8-magnitude quake in 2010, one of the strongest ever recorded, killed 551 people and destroyed more than 200,000 homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Huge crowds at Shiva temples on first Monday of Shravan
- Germany warns of anti-migrant backlash after week of bloodshed
- SCs, STs, OBCs with 50 pc marks in Master's eligible for NET: Govt
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.8 billion: 10 things to know
- Maharashtra CID to seek custody of Dabholkar murder accused Virendra Tawde