Magnitude 5.0 quake strikes northern Chile
Santiago: A mild 5.0 earthquake has struck Chile`s north-eastern region, but there are no reports of injuries or damage.
The US Geological Survey said the quake`s epicentre was 29 kilometres north-north-east of Putre, Chile and struck yesterday at 2:58 P.M. Local time (00:28 IST). The quake was not felt in the capital of Santiago. The Chilean Onemi Emergency Office said no injuries or damage were reported. Putre, the capital of the Arica-Paranicota region, is located at an altitude of 11,500 feet near the edge of the Lauca National Park.
Chile is one of the most highly seismic countries in the world. A massive 8.8-magnitude quake in 2010, one of the strongest ever recorded, killed 551 people and destroyed more than 200,000 homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH