Magnitude 5.0 quake strikes northern Chile
Santiago: A mild 5.0 earthquake has struck Chile`s north-eastern region, but there are no reports of injuries or damage.
The US Geological Survey said the quake`s epicentre was 29 kilometres north-north-east of Putre, Chile and struck yesterday at 2:58 P.M. Local time (00:28 IST). The quake was not felt in the capital of Santiago. The Chilean Onemi Emergency Office said no injuries or damage were reported. Putre, the capital of the Arica-Paranicota region, is located at an altitude of 11,500 feet near the edge of the Lauca National Park.
Chile is one of the most highly seismic countries in the world. A massive 8.8-magnitude quake in 2010, one of the strongest ever recorded, killed 551 people and destroyed more than 200,000 homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown