Magnitude 5.6 quake hits Indonesia
Jakarta: A moderate 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia on Saturday, the local geophysics agency said, but there were no initial reports of damage or casualties.
The quake struck at a depth of 10km around 44km south-west of Mukomuko in Bengkulu province at 9.45 am (0245 GMT).
“The undersea quake was felt in Bengkulu, but it did not have the potential to create damage,” national quake centre official Ridwan said.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific `Ring of Fire`, where the meeting of continental plates causes high seismic activity, and Sumatra is particularly prone to earthquakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review