Magnitude 5.6 quake hits Indonesia
Jakarta: A moderate 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia on Saturday, the local geophysics agency said, but there were no initial reports of damage or casualties.
The quake struck at a depth of 10km around 44km south-west of Mukomuko in Bengkulu province at 9.45 am (0245 GMT).
“The undersea quake was felt in Bengkulu, but it did not have the potential to create damage,” national quake centre official Ridwan said.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific `Ring of Fire`, where the meeting of continental plates causes high seismic activity, and Sumatra is particularly prone to earthquakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border