Magnitude 5.6 quake hits Indonesia
Jakarta: A moderate 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia on Saturday, the local geophysics agency said, but there were no initial reports of damage or casualties.
The quake struck at a depth of 10km around 44km south-west of Mukomuko in Bengkulu province at 9.45 am (0245 GMT).
“The undersea quake was felt in Bengkulu, but it did not have the potential to create damage,” national quake centre official Ridwan said.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific `Ring of Fire`, where the meeting of continental plates causes high seismic activity, and Sumatra is particularly prone to earthquakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’