Magnitude 5.8 quake hits Chile, no damage seen
Santiago: A 5.8 magnitude earthquake shook northern Chile early on Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of any damage to property or copper mines in the area, emergency and mine officials said.
The temblor struck at 3:13 am EDT and was centred 13 miles northeast of Antofagasta, at a depth of 20.5 miles, the US Geological Survey reported, revising the quake down from an original reading of 6.0 magnitude.
State emergency office ONEMI said the temblor had knocked out cell phone services in some areas, but it had received no reports of damages.
A union official at Anglo American`s 90,000 tonne per year Mantos Blancos deposit near the epicenter said workers had felt the tremor, but operations were not affected.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!