Magnitude 5.8 quake hits Chile, no damage seen
Santiago: A 5.8 magnitude earthquake shook northern Chile early on Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of any damage to property or copper mines in the area, emergency and mine officials said.
The temblor struck at 3:13 am EDT and was centred 13 miles northeast of Antofagasta, at a depth of 20.5 miles, the US Geological Survey reported, revising the quake down from an original reading of 6.0 magnitude.
State emergency office ONEMI said the temblor had knocked out cell phone services in some areas, but it had received no reports of damages.
A union official at Anglo American`s 90,000 tonne per year Mantos Blancos deposit near the epicenter said workers had felt the tremor, but operations were not affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH