Magnitude 6.0 earthquake jolts Tokyo in Japan, no tsunami risk
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Tokyo: An earthquake measuring 6.0 on Richter scale struck central Tokyo on early Monday morning, injuring at least 17 people, but no tsunami risk was likely, reports said.
The quake`s epicentre was 162 km below the seafloor off the island of Izu Oshima, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency. The agency added that the quake was unlikely to trigger any tsunami.
On a day when people were set for a national holiday, the quake woke the people out of sleep in Tokyo and shook buildings, sending people running for cover.
According to local media, no major damage was reported but the Fire and Disaster Management Agency said that at least16 people were injured.
Those injured included a sexagenarian woman who got a fractured bone in Kawasaki, Kanagawa Prefecture. Four others were injured in Yokohama hit by falling objects and eight were injured in Tokyo. The quake injured one in Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture, and a total of two in Ichikawa and Kisarazu in Chiba Prefecture, reported the Japan Times.
The earthquake is said to be of the strongest seismic intensity level since the disastrous earthquake of 2011.
Monday`s quake doesn`t seem to be connected to an expected major quake as today`s quake occurred in the Pacific plate, a top official at Japan`s Meteorological Agency was quoted as saying at a news conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation