Magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits off northern Chile: USGS
Santiago: A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off northern Chile`s coast, the US Geological Survey said, with no immediate reports of major damage or casualties.
The agency said the quake hit at 4:54 pm local time (0224 IST Monday) in the Pacific Ocean 22 kilometres (14 miles) west of Iquique, Chile, at a depth of 35.7 kilometres.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, according to the national emergency office ONEMI.
An 8.2-magnitude quake in the same area in April killed six people and forced a million to leave their homes in the region around Iquique, 1,800 kilometres north of the capital Santiago.
Chile is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, and is located in the so-called Ring of Fire area of the Pacific Ocean basin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!