Magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits off northern Chile: USGS
Santiago: A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off northern Chile`s coast, the US Geological Survey said, with no immediate reports of major damage or casualties.
The agency said the quake hit at 4:54 pm local time (0224 IST Monday) in the Pacific Ocean 22 kilometres (14 miles) west of Iquique, Chile, at a depth of 35.7 kilometres.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, according to the national emergency office ONEMI.
An 8.2-magnitude quake in the same area in April killed six people and forced a million to leave their homes in the region around Iquique, 1,800 kilometres north of the capital Santiago.
Chile is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, and is located in the so-called Ring of Fire area of the Pacific Ocean basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Gwen Stefani auditioned for 'Mr & Mrs Smith'
- WATCH: Fizz and fire! Mustafizur Rahman demolishes opposition on T20 Blast debut
- Burhan Wani protest: Curfew lifted from four districts of Kashmir Valley, parts of Srinagar
- MH370 pilot flew similar doomed route on home simulator: Report
- One Direction's Liam Payne ready to launch solo career