Magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits off northern Chile: USGS
Santiago: A 6.1-magnitude earthquake struck off northern Chile`s coast, the US Geological Survey said, with no immediate reports of major damage or casualties.
The agency said the quake hit at 4:54 pm local time (0224 IST Monday) in the Pacific Ocean 22 kilometres (14 miles) west of Iquique, Chile, at a depth of 35.7 kilometres.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, according to the national emergency office ONEMI.
An 8.2-magnitude quake in the same area in April killed six people and forced a million to leave their homes in the region around Iquique, 1,800 kilometres north of the capital Santiago.
Chile is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, and is located in the so-called Ring of Fire area of the Pacific Ocean basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion