Magnitude 6.3 earthquake shakes Peru
Lima: An earthquake of 6.3 magnitude rattled the coast of Peru early on Monday, the US Geological Survey said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
The quake occurred shortly after midnight local time (1 am ET) and was centred about 9 miles southeast of the city of Ica and about 170 miles south-southeast of Lima.
Witnesses said the quake shook buildings in coastal Lima, Peru`s capital. Although there were no reported injuries or damage, local radio said residents near the epicentre were alarmed and ran outside their homes when they felt the quake. Power was out in nearby Pisco, the radio said.
"We felt a terrible earthquake that`s really scared us," Ica resident Blanca Cabanilla told the local radio. "It was similar to what happened to us in 2007."
An 8.0 quake in 2007 killed more than 500 people in Ica and wrecked thousands of homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH