Magnitude 6.3 quake hits Indonesia, child injured
Jakarta: A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck a northern Indonesian island on Saturday, injuring a child. No tsunami warning was issued.
The US Geological Survey said the late-afternoon quake struck 56 kilometres (35 miles) southeast of Palu city on Sulawesi Island at a depth of 19.9 kilometres (12.4 miles), as residents were ending their fast on the final day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Sudirman, an officer at the Disaster Management Agency who uses one name, said there were reports of damage to houses in Parigi Mountong, the district closest to the epicentre.
He said the full extent of damage was not yet known.
The earthquake struck as people in the province were ending their fast on the last day of Ramadan, causing many to rush out into the streets in panic, local news reports said.
The USGS initially measured the quake at magnitude 6.6 but later adjusted it to 6.3.
Indonesia is prone to earthquakes because it is in the Pacific Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
A giant quake off the country on December 26, 2004, triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people, half of them in Indonesia`s westernmost province of Aceh.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter