Magnitude 6.3 quake hits Indonesia, child injured
Jakarta: A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck a northern Indonesian island on Saturday, injuring a child. No tsunami warning was issued.
The US Geological Survey said the late-afternoon quake struck 56 kilometres (35 miles) southeast of Palu city on Sulawesi Island at a depth of 19.9 kilometres (12.4 miles), as residents were ending their fast on the final day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Sudirman, an officer at the Disaster Management Agency who uses one name, said there were reports of damage to houses in Parigi Mountong, the district closest to the epicentre.
He said the full extent of damage was not yet known.
The earthquake struck as people in the province were ending their fast on the last day of Ramadan, causing many to rush out into the streets in panic, local news reports said.
The USGS initially measured the quake at magnitude 6.6 but later adjusted it to 6.3.
Indonesia is prone to earthquakes because it is in the Pacific Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
A giant quake off the country on December 26, 2004, triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people, half of them in Indonesia`s westernmost province of Aceh.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview