Mahatma Gandhi`s bust unveiled in Cairo
Cairo: A bronze bust of Mahatma Gandhi,
gifted to the people of Egypt by India in recognition of their
peaceful pro-democracy revolution, has been unveiled here to
mark the fifth international day of non-violence.
The bust was unveiled by Egypt`s Minister of Culture Emad
Abou Ghazi and the Ambassador of India R Swaminathan at the
Supreme Council for Culture here yesterday.
Made by renowned Indian sculptor Ram Sutar, the bust has
been gifted by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) to
the government and people of the Egypt in recognition of the
fact that Egyptians adopted Gandhian ideals and philosophy to
bring about a peaceful revolution in the country.
"The question usually asked today if whether the ideas of
Mahatma Ghandi still hold place in our world today. The events
which Egypt witnessed earlier this year shows beyond doubt
that peaceful paths and non-violence finally lead to good
results," Swaminathan said.
The Indian government has pledged its steadfast support to
Egypt during its transition period.
At the same time, the Maulana Azad centre in Cairo, also
issued a special booklet on Gandhi entitled: "Gandhi, his life
and his messages".
The book touches the different stages of Gandhi`s life
from childhood to the last days while placing his most famous
quotes with his images.
In 2007, the UN General Assembly adopted a unanimous
resolution to establish the International Day of Non-Violence.
to spread the message of non-violence, including through
education and public awareness, around the world.
Reflecting the universal respect for Gandhi and his
philosophy, October 2, which is his birth anniversary, was
chosen as the International Day of Non-violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation