Mahmoud Abbas seeks US pressure to cancel Turkish PM`s Gaza visit
Beijing: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas will ask the United States to pressure Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to cancel his planned visit to the Gaza Strip, a Palestinian official said Sunday.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that Abbas will meet with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry in Istanbul on Sunday on the sidelines of the "Friends of Syria" meeting.
"Abbas will ask Kerry to convince Erdogan not to visit Gaza," the official said, adding that Abbas will tell Kerry that Erdogan`s visit to Gaza would boost the Islamic Hamas movement and deepen the Palestinian internal rift.
Hamas routed pro-Abbas forces and took over Gaza in 2007. Since then, Abbas`rule has been confined to the West Bank.
Erdogan said he will travel to Gaza in May after he finishes a visit to Washington, which brokered an Israeli apology that started to cool down the tense diplomatic relations between Turkey and Israel.
Turkey has demanded an Israeli apology for its attack on a Gaza- bound aid flotilla in 2010, which left eight Turks and one Turkish American dead.
Abbas and Kerry will also discuss the latter`s efforts to revive long-stalled peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy