Mail bomb defused at Greek prison
Athens: Police on Thursday defused a mail bomb sent to a maximum security prison in Athens where alleged members of an armed anarchist group are on trial, authorities said.
The parcel was sent to the Governor of Korydallos prison in western Athens. Prison authorities determined that the package was suspicious after scanning it, police said in a statement.
The padded envelop had Italian postage stamps but no postmark, the statement said. As senders address it listed that of the four-nation military alliance, Eurofor, based in Florence, Italy.
Nine suspected members of the armed Greek anarchist group Revolutionary Nuclei of Fire are currently on trial at a court set up inside Korydallos prison, for their alleged role in bombings and other attacks. The group has claimed responsibility for a spate of parcel bombings last November, that targeted embassies and even reached the office of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
In December, Italian anarchists sent letter bombs to three embassies in Rome in solidarity with jailed Greek militants.
Greece`s police Thursday urged state-run services and mail deliver companies to remain vigilant to more possible mail-bomb attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason