Mail bomb defused at Greek prison
Athens: Police on Thursday defused a mail bomb sent to a maximum security prison in Athens where alleged members of an armed anarchist group are on trial, authorities said.
The parcel was sent to the Governor of Korydallos prison in western Athens. Prison authorities determined that the package was suspicious after scanning it, police said in a statement.
The padded envelop had Italian postage stamps but no postmark, the statement said. As senders address it listed that of the four-nation military alliance, Eurofor, based in Florence, Italy.
Nine suspected members of the armed Greek anarchist group Revolutionary Nuclei of Fire are currently on trial at a court set up inside Korydallos prison, for their alleged role in bombings and other attacks. The group has claimed responsibility for a spate of parcel bombings last November, that targeted embassies and even reached the office of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
In December, Italian anarchists sent letter bombs to three embassies in Rome in solidarity with jailed Greek militants.
Greece`s police Thursday urged state-run services and mail deliver companies to remain vigilant to more possible mail-bomb attacks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference