Mail bomb defused at Greek prison
Athens: Police on Thursday defused a mail bomb sent to a maximum security prison in Athens where alleged members of an armed anarchist group are on trial, authorities said.
The parcel was sent to the Governor of Korydallos prison in western Athens. Prison authorities determined that the package was suspicious after scanning it, police said in a statement.
The padded envelop had Italian postage stamps but no postmark, the statement said. As senders address it listed that of the four-nation military alliance, Eurofor, based in Florence, Italy.
Nine suspected members of the armed Greek anarchist group Revolutionary Nuclei of Fire are currently on trial at a court set up inside Korydallos prison, for their alleged role in bombings and other attacks. The group has claimed responsibility for a spate of parcel bombings last November, that targeted embassies and even reached the office of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
In December, Italian anarchists sent letter bombs to three embassies in Rome in solidarity with jailed Greek militants.
Greece`s police Thursday urged state-run services and mail deliver companies to remain vigilant to more possible mail-bomb attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside