Major earthquake hits Iran-Pak border, many feared dead
Zee Media Bureau
Tehran: A massive earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale rocked Iran on Tuesday and the jolts of it were felt across the gulf region. There was no official conformity of the dead, however, it is feared that hundreds were killed in the quake.
As per the US Geological Survey, the quake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale had its epicentre on the Iran-Pakistan border at a depth of 15.2 kilometres. It was located 86 kilometres east-southeast of the Iranian city of Khash.
A government officials told a news agency that "it was the biggest earthquake in 40 years and we are expecting hundreds of dead".
There are no further details of the extent of the damage. The rescue teams are being sent to the quake stricken areas.
The quake was felt in Iran, Pakistan and a major part of West Asia.
At least 37 people were killed and 850 wounded when a 6.3 magnitude earthquake hit south-west Iran on April 10.
In Karachi, several persons were injured when a building collapsed. Geo News reported that urban centres of Karachi, Hyderabad, Quetta, Abbottabad, Islamabad and Lahore were also jolted.
The quake was also felt in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. It shook buildings and there were reports that high-rise offices were evacuated in Abu Dhabi.
(With Inputs from PTI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing