Major earthquake hits off El Salvador coast
San Salvador: A huge earthquake on Monday struck off the coast of El Salvador followed an hour later by a magnitude-5.4 aftershock.
Authorities said there were no immediate reports of damages or injuries after the magnitude-7.3 earthquake.
However, a tsunami warning was put into effect for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama and Mexico after the quake struck at 10:37 pm on Sunday. The warning was later rescinded.
David Walsh, an oceanographer with the Pacific Tsunami Centre in Ewa Beach, Hawaii, said a minor, 10-centimeter (3.94-inche) tsunami was registered off Acajutla, El Salvador.
The quake was located 86 miles (138 kilometres) south-southwest of San Miguel, the US Geological Survey reported on its web site. The temblor took place at a depth of 32.9 miles (53 kilometres). The second quake registered about an hour later in the same area at a depth of 35.9 miles (57.8 km).
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon