Major earthquake hits off El Salvador coast
San Salvador: A huge earthquake on Monday struck off the coast of El Salvador followed an hour later by a magnitude-5.4 aftershock.
Authorities said there were no immediate reports of damages or injuries after the magnitude-7.3 earthquake.
However, a tsunami warning was put into effect for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama and Mexico after the quake struck at 10:37 pm on Sunday. The warning was later rescinded.
David Walsh, an oceanographer with the Pacific Tsunami Centre in Ewa Beach, Hawaii, said a minor, 10-centimeter (3.94-inche) tsunami was registered off Acajutla, El Salvador.
The quake was located 86 miles (138 kilometres) south-southwest of San Miguel, the US Geological Survey reported on its web site. The temblor took place at a depth of 32.9 miles (53 kilometres). The second quake registered about an hour later in the same area at a depth of 35.9 miles (57.8 km).
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site