Major fire at Dubai skyscraper
Dubai: Scores of apartments were gutted in a major fire that broke out in the 34-storey Tamweel Tower in Dubai early Sunday.
The fire broke out at about 2 am on the top floor of the building. No casualties were immediately reported in the incident which occurred in Jumeirah Lake Towers district, according to Xinhua.
Amateur video footage posted online showed the fire had engulfed the building at night, with debris falling on to the street.
Reza, a French citizen who rents an apartment in the tower, said: "Once we were woken up by the alarm, my wife and I quickly left the apartment with our baby. We rushed down the staircase."
"The fire was massive and the fire brigade arrived rather late, about 50 minutes after the alarm signal was audible," Reza said, adding that many tenants gathering outside were angry about the slow response by the fire brigade.
It remained unclear what caused the fire.
The Tamweel Tower is located at the entrance point to Jumeirah Lake Towers district in west of Dubai, which consists of 79 sky-high mixed-used buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire