Major fire at Dubai skyscraper
Dubai: Scores of apartments were gutted in a major fire that broke out in the 34-storey Tamweel Tower in Dubai early Sunday.
The fire broke out at about 2 am on the top floor of the building. No casualties were immediately reported in the incident which occurred in Jumeirah Lake Towers district, according to Xinhua.
Amateur video footage posted online showed the fire had engulfed the building at night, with debris falling on to the street.
Reza, a French citizen who rents an apartment in the tower, said: "Once we were woken up by the alarm, my wife and I quickly left the apartment with our baby. We rushed down the staircase."
"The fire was massive and the fire brigade arrived rather late, about 50 minutes after the alarm signal was audible," Reza said, adding that many tenants gathering outside were angry about the slow response by the fire brigade.
It remained unclear what caused the fire.
The Tamweel Tower is located at the entrance point to Jumeirah Lake Towers district in west of Dubai, which consists of 79 sky-high mixed-used buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown