Major quake rattles Indonesia`s Sumatra island
Jakarta: A 5.3-magnitude earthquake rattled the northern tip of Indonesia Monday, geologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage.
The quake struck at a shallow depth of one kilometre around 160 kms southeast of Banda Aceh on Indonesia`s Sumatra island at 2:09 am local time, the US Geological Survey said.
Aceh province is frequently hit by earthquakes and was devastated by the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", where the meeting of continental plates causes strong seismic activity including earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!