Major US, Israeli air defence exercise begins
Jerusalem: The Israeli military says its largest ever exercise with the United States has begun.
A major air defence drill called Austere Challenge 2012 started Sunday and includes more than 3,500 Americans and 1,000 Israelis.
The militaries are practicing their ability to work together against a range of threats facing Israel, the main US ally in the Mideast.
The military exercise was originally scheduled for April but was postponed at Israel`s request.
No reason was given but it came amid growing talk of Israel preparing to attack Iran if Tehran does not cease its uranium enrichment programme.
The weeks-long joint exercise will test multiple Israeli and American air defence systems against incoming missiles and rockets from places as far away as Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet