Major US, Israeli air defence exercise begins
Jerusalem: The Israeli military says its largest ever exercise with the United States has begun.
A major air defence drill called Austere Challenge 2012 started Sunday and includes more than 3,500 Americans and 1,000 Israelis.
The militaries are practicing their ability to work together against a range of threats facing Israel, the main US ally in the Mideast.
The military exercise was originally scheduled for April but was postponed at Israel`s request.
No reason was given but it came amid growing talk of Israel preparing to attack Iran if Tehran does not cease its uranium enrichment programme.
The weeks-long joint exercise will test multiple Israeli and American air defence systems against incoming missiles and rockets from places as far away as Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj